top of page

Gainsborough Lea Road

oldhall.jpg

About

Gainsborough has two railway stations, Central (the station buildings were demolished in 1977) and Lea Road, one mile south of the town centre served by bus routes 100 and 107. 

The station has a very dedicated station adopter group who look after the station, including the stations planters, flowers and artwork. During October 2022 a group of young people also produced a mural in the linking tunnel between Platforms 1 and 2, celebrating all of the landmarks found in Gainsborough. 

What's in the Area?

The Old Hall

The Old Hall (10 minutes walk from Central Station and 30 minutes from Lea Road station) is a 15th-century manor house, which inevitably has experienced alterations over the centuries, but is still remarkably redolent of times long past. The building deteriorated in the late 17th century. In the following years, it was used as a linen factory, a theatre, a corn exchange, an auction sale room, a Masonic lodge, a Congregational church and a ballroom. The first restoration of the building was carried out in 1849 followed by another restoration in 1880. Between 1951 and 1984 extensive repairs and reinstatements were carried out under the plausible of the Department of the Environment. When the Old Hall closed in March 2020, due to the Corona Virus pandemic, the opportunity to carry out further repairs was made prior to the hall re-opening to the public in July 2021.
Old Hall website

Gainsborough and the Separatists

During the early years of the 17th century, a movement separating religion from the state developed in and around Gainsborough. John Smyth a preacher who had been asked by the bishop of Lincoln for his strange doctrines and forward preaching of his Puritan views came to Gainsborough in 1603. It is thought that John Smyth enjoyed the freedom to preach in his own style at the Old Hall under the protection of the new lord of the manor William Hickman. By the time King James banned private religious meetings and removed clergymen who refused to conform John Smyth had a congregation of around 70 people meeting secretly in Gainsborough.  Sir William Hickman found himself under pressure from the Bishop of Lincoln for permitting John Smyth to preach. Unable to emigrate legally without permits and unable to obtain permits, John Smyth and at least forty of his Gainsborough followers slipped quietly away and disappeared from Gainsborough in late 1607 or early 1608.  The Pilgrim Woman statute at Whitton's Gardens beside the River Trent marks the exodus. Read more of the Separatists in Gainsborough at Mayflower 400

All Saints Parish Church and the Gainsborough Tapestry

Standing on grounds across Gladstone Street from the Old Hall is All Saints Parish Church an 18th-century church, known as St Martin in the Fields of the North, attach to a 14th-century tower. The church contains the Gainsborough Millennium Tapestry telling the history of the town.

Gainsborough Heritage Centre

Standing at the junction of North Street and Spital Terrace in a former post office building is the Gainsborough Heritage Centre which holds a wide range of information, drawings, manuals, and leaflets, relating to Marshall and Sons the world-famous agricultural machinery manufacturer.
Heritage Centre website

A riverside walk from the  Pilgrim Woman statute at Whitton's Gardens to the Trent Bridge is well worth traversing. The bridge, built by a firm of bridge builders from Oxford under the direction of William Weston, cost £4,000 when it was completed in 1791. Weston then emigrated to the USA in 1792 as a civil engineer to the ill-fated Schuylkill and Susquehanna Navigation Company. At the time of opening the Trent Bridge was the only bridge on the River Trent downstream of Newark.

Marshall's Yard

The Marshall's Yard shopping centre occupies buildings that were once part of Marshall and Son's works. Central station is located behind the shopping centre
Marshall's Yard website.

St Paul's Church, Morton - A treasure house of William Morris and Sir Edward Burne-Jones windows.

A mile north of Gainsborough town centre (bus 2 and 100) is the church of St Paul in the village of Morton. Ten windows designed by the great Victorian artist Sir Edward Burne-Jones RA who worked on them with designer William Morris are a rare and valuable possession. In addition, the chancel carpet is woven into a pattern by William Morris.
Exploring churches St Paul Morton

Key Information

Trains serving Gainsborough operate between Lincoln and Sheffield, Peterborough and Doncaster and Sheffield and Cleethorpes.

Where is the station?

Gainsborough News

bottom of page